Purple Bed Mattress Review
I get a lot of questions about the Purple mattress, due to their innovative marketing and effective Kickstarted campaign. So I was eager to try it out myself. Since it is made of some very unique material, it is tough to compare to other mattresses. Purple Mattress Protector Washing Instructions
Overall I really liked the mattress too. But I did have some concerns. It’s certainly unique, and different than any mattress I’ve ever tested. I believe many people are going to like this mattress. But it will not be for everyone, since it is so unique.
You will enjoy the Purple bed mattress if you …
- Are looking pressure relief – I found the Purple mattress to be incredible for this. (This is what they are proving with the raw egg test).
- Are interested in the bed-in-a-box design – Because of the unique material, it’s hard to compare Purple mattresses to others.
- Sleep in several positions – Purple is one of very few mattresses, that sleep comfortable rather you sleep on your stomach, side or back.
- Prefer to sleep cool – The Purple mattress sleeps cooler than any other mattress I have reviewed.
You may not like the Purple bed mattress if you …
- Want a mattress that you can describe – Do you call it memory foam? Perhaps a latex bed mattress? Absolutely not spring. It’s difficult to classify Purple, which might be challenging for some buyers.
- There’s a specific kind of bed mattress you enjoy – If you like memory foam or love latex, you must think about sticking to exactly what you like. This is a unique feel that isn’t really like any of the basic bed mattress types. Purple Mattress Protector Washing Instructions
Firmness and Feel
Since the Purple mattress has a unique comfort layer (known as hyper-elastic polymer), it’s not surprising that it feels different than any other mattress you’ve tried. Like a latex bed mattress, Purple springs back really quick, and sleeps cool.
When it comes firmness, I’d give it around a 7 out of 10. But, it is great at pressure relief. So, don’t base everything off of the firmness scale.
Purple Mattress Construction
The Purple bed mattress is made from 3 layers:
- 2 inches of hyper-elastic polymer
- 3.5 inches of 1.8 pound polyurethane foam
- 4.0 inches of 2.0 pound polyurethane foam
The top layer is what makes Purple what it is. With a very unique material that provides the bounce, pressure relief and also sleeps cool.
The cover below the cover is made of viscose (27%), polyester (69%), and polyester-lycra (4%). I found the mattress cover to be nice to the touch and very breathable.
Motion Transfer Test
I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Purple bed mattress in regards to motion transfer. Simply because it doesn’t fall under the common types of mattresses; memory foam, latex foam or innerspring.
However, for motion transfer I feel it is great for couples.
Purple Mattress Protector Washing Instructions
Costs and Avaiable Sizes
The table shown below lists the costs for the readily available sizes and their associated measurements.
Twin XL: 37.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $699
Queen: 59.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $999
King: 75.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ – $1,299
Cal King: 71.5″ x 83.5″ x 9.5″ – $1,299
In Regards To Durability
The gel material that Purple uses in the comfort layer, is really resilient. It will stop premature drooping, that is seen in other mattresses. The base foam is high-density, so all in all I expect the bed mattress to hold up well over time, and I believe its durability is a significant selling point. Purple Mattress Protector Washing Instructions
Other things to keep in mind:
- Purple is offered just online
- They have a 10 year warranty
- Purple recommends stretchy sheets, to get the full benefit
- They have a 100 night sleep trial
How Does Purple Compare to Nectar?
Purple Mattress is a great mattress. You can find the lowest prices here on Amazon.
However, when compared to Nectar, there are a few things to note:
- Nectar is cheaper.
- Purple mattress has 3 foam layers, compared to Nectar having 4 foam layers.
- Purple mattress is thinner than Nectar mattress.
- Nectar carries a lower comfort score. This means it provides more comfort, without sacrificing stability or assistance.
- Nectar has less movement transfer than Purple mattress.
- Nectar has a Three Hundred and Sixty Five Night Sleep Trial versus Purples 100 day trial.